We're Hiring: Community Builder
Title: Community Builder
Location: Charleston, SC
Term: Full-time/ Exempt
Application Deadline: Rolling basis, open until filled
Reports to: Director of Economic Development
Salary Range: $44,000-47,000 annually plus benefits with 6-month goal review and opportunity for salary bump
Summary: The Community Builder will serve as the “front door” for Lowcountry Local First (LLF) as a highly visible member of the team and the primary relationship builder for LLF’s 500 local business members, a diverse group of locally-headquartered companies. The Community Builder will divide their time between recruitment/retention of business members and recruitment/management for Local Works coworking space. The ideal candidate will: thrive in an external-facing position; effectively communicate the benefits of LLF’s work into financial support via membership; and enjoy managing a beautiful 5,000 sf coworking space as a hub for local business prosperity.
Lowcountry Local First (LLF) is an entrepreneurial nonprofit organization made up of more than 500 local businesses representing diverse industries across the Lowcountry region. Our mission is to cultivate an economy anchored in local ownership, because local-independent businesses are the cornerstone of our culture, economy, and character. Our work is threefold: 1) educate the public on why it is important to choose local and influence them to do so; 2) work with our elected officials, decision-makers, and opinion leaders to foster a better environment for creating and sustaining local businesses, and 3) deliver resources, programming, networking, mentorship and more to local businesses of all shapes and sizes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
60% Recruitment and retention for business members:
- Confidently and compellingly communicate the value proposition of LLF, including one-on-one meetings and presentations in public/group settings.
- Work collaboratively with the Development Manager to set membership budget/revenue goals, with primary responsibility for achieving those financial goals and directing team members to participate in member outreach/renewals. We view membership as a full-team sport.
- Lead new member recruitment and existing member stewardship utilizing our CRM (Constituent Relationship Management) system and act as primary database manager for CRM.
- Manage membership partnerships and programs, including the Mount Pleasant Town Proud program, a partnership with the Hispanic Business Association, and act as point person for planning monthly Local Socials for member networking.
- Serve as point person for planning ‘Good Business’ workshops and facilitating meetings between members for our ‘Local Expertise Exchange.’
- Solicit feedback on member experience and work with our team to innovate the best programs/support for the local business community.
40% Sales and facilities management for Local Works coworking space:
- Develop a pipeline/leads list of potential coworking space members with a confident understanding of the value of Local Works, promptly respond to inquiries about the space, and follow up.
- Achieve revenue goals for occupancy through business development outreach.
- Handle day-to-day coworking space needs, including: facility operations, tours, leasing, vendors, and member assistance/communication.
- Support events and programs that take place in Local Works.
- Problem-solve any issues that arise at Local Works in an efficient and calm manner.
- Provide tech support, including Wi-Fi, AV needs, printing/scanning, etc.
Skills & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following traits:
- Connects to the mission of LLF and the values of building an economy anchored in local ownership.
- A track record of success with sales, membership, or other revenue-generation.
- Organized and highly detail oriented with the ability to maintain a sales pipeline/portfolio.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to represent Lowcountry Local First in a professional manner with diverse constituencies.
- Thrives on networking and building relationships.
- Enjoys working closely with a highly-collaborative team and also takes initiative to problem solve and achieve goals.
- Tech-savvy and strong computer skills. Salesforce CRM experience preferred but not required.
The Community Builder works in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces. The Community Builder works a standard work week but will likely be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends for outreach, socials, or other events as needed. Direct supervisor will work with the team member to ensure appropriate comp time and work/life balance. We value our people and work/life balance is critical.
- Three weeks of paid time off in year one, with increases annually.
- Eight paid holidays (including MLK Day, Juneteenth, and your birthday), PLUS 24th through Jan 1st.
- 3% company matching SIMPLE-IRA retirement fund (after three  months of employment).
- Monthly cell phone and insurance stipends.
- Parental leave up to  weeks (after one year of employment), including four  weeks paid leave in addition to any Paid Time Off employee would like to utilize.
- Annual stipend provided for professional development.
- 6-month review in Year One with opportunity for salary bump based on performance
Equal Opportunity Employer
We’re an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to ongoing organizational improvements to create an inclusive environment for all employees. We cannot achieve a thriving local economy without racial justice, and we believe that achieving true equality requires dismantling racism and repairing the centuries of harm inflicted on Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. We aim to identify candidates committed to these values of equity and justice. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. Please email cover letter and resume in PDF format to HR@lowcountrylocalfirst.org with “Community Builder” in subject heading.