August: Abundant Arts & Culture Month
We are proud to have dozens of small business members who stem from the arts and creative industries — and this month, we celebrate the enormous impacts they have on this place. From local theaters and muralists to photographers and designers, these are the businesses who make our dreams come true, help us make sense of the tough stuff, bring us together, help us let go, and bring a unique sense of pride to our communities. We hope you'll tag and thank your favorite local artistic business on Instagram with us this month.
How do artists and creatives contribute to local economies?
Artists and creatives make significant contributions to local economies in various ways, including:
1. Job creation: Artists and creatives often require support from additional professionals, such as managers, agents, technicians, designers, and marketers, leading to more local employment opportunities.
2. Cultural tourism and destination branding: Artists and creatives play a vital role in shaping the cultural identity of a place. Their work, performances, exhibitions, and cultural events attract visitors who contribute to the local economy through spending on accommodations, dining, transportation, and other tourism-related activities. A vibrant arts and cultural scene helps create a unique sense of place..
3. Arts organizations and venues: Artists often rely on arts organizations, galleries, theaters, music venues, and performance spaces to showcase their work. These organizations and venues contribute to the local economy by attracting audiences, hosting events, and creating opportunities for artists and creatives to showcase and sell their work.
4. Creative industries and businesses: Artists and creatives are often involved in various creative industries such as film, design, fashion, advertising, architecture, and more. These industries contribute to the local economy by providing employment opportunities, attracting businesses, and driving innovation and entrepreneurship.
5. Innovation and entrepreneurship: Artists and creatives bring fresh perspectives, innovative ideas, and creative problem-solving skills to various industries. They contribute to local economies by driving innovation, inspiring entrepreneurship, and encouraging creative thinking across different sectors.
6. Social and community development: Artists and creatives frequently engage in community projects, public art installations, and social initiatives. These activities enhance community cohesion, social integration, and cultural diversity, making the local area more attractive and inclusive.