Lowcountry Local First advances economic prosperity and local ownership through innovative and inclusive initiatives that build our community’s wealth and wellbeing.
WHAT WE DO
- Educate the general public on why it’s important to choose local and influence them to do so.
- Work with our elected officials, decision-makers and opinion leaders to foster a better environment for creating and sustaining local businesses.
- Deliver resources, programming, networking, mentorship and more to local businesses of all shapes and sizes.
WHY WE’RE DIFFERENT
We develop innovative models for sustainable and equitable local economies. Our work leverages our understanding of the 1,500+ local businesses we’ve served and is informed by staff with expertise and on-the-ground experience in local economy building, innovative economic development, entrepreneur support, sustainable agriculture, and food systems. We are connected to local economy and sustainable business organizations throughout the country, granting us access to the best models, case studies and thought leaders.
We value diversity of perspective, identity, and passion and believe we are all better when surrounded by those with unique lived experiences from our own.
Four staff positions are open at this time. View these opportunities.
HONORS & RECOGNITION
- 2020 Purposeful Action Award – Lowcountry Association of Fundraising Professionals
- 2019 Coworker Members’ Choice Award for Local Works – Coworker.com
- 2019 Best Of Award: Staff Pick for Best Charleston Email Newsletter – Charleston City Paper
- 2018 Winner Best Non-Traditional Marketing Campaign – Charleston American Marketing Association
- 2014-2017 Winner Growth Accelerator Fund Competition – U.S. Small Business Administration
- 2016 Charleston County Ambassador for Economic Development, Jamee Haley – S.C. Department of Commerce
- 2016 Winner Best Promotional Video and Best Non-Traditional Marketing Campaign – Charleston American Marketing Association
- 2015 South Carolina Small Business Ally of the Year – SC District Office, Small Business Administration
- 2015 Winner Best Event Promotion, Runner-Up Guerrilla Campaign – Charleston American Marketing Association
- 2014 Institution of the Year – Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
- 2014 South Carolina Innovation Fund – S.C. Department of Commerce
- 2010-2012 Best Local Cause – Charleston City Paper ‘Best Of’ Awards
- 2008 Sustainable Communities Award – The Sustainability Institute
ANNUAL REPORTS AND FINANCIALS
- 2022 Annual Report
- 2021 Annual Report // 2021 Form 990
- 2020 Annual Report // 2020 Form 990
- 2019 Annual Report // 2019 Form 990
- 2018 Annual Report // 2018 Form 990
- 2017 State of Local // 2017 Form 990
- 2016 State of Local – Celebrating 10 Years // 2016 Form 990
- 2015 State of Local // 2015 Form 990